It’s been a long week with both work and this blog. Normally I put up my post, enjoy your company, and go about my business. Wednesday (and spilling over into Thursday) I played hall monitor and basically let people run rampant here in an attempt to allow two sides to speak at once. For that reason, you’re not getting much out of me today.
Things I’ve learned via the conversation and in general –
– Monitoring grownups is often tougher than monitoring high school cliques. And I wonder just how many people who never resolved high school angst still battle it out in their adult lives? I don’t want to have to monitor again. It’s too damned exhausting and it takes away from my work.
– I was way too lenient on the blog Wednesday. The bad behavior started almost instantly. My fault for not putting a foot on it. The purpose of Wednesday was to allow opinions to be expressed, not allow people to divert from the issue by accusing, getting upset, and generally stomping around on my community. Blog regulars, I apologize for not halting it sooner.
– I’m so glad things will soon return to normal here. I’m tired!
– There’s an undercurrent on the Internet that I hate. It’s the “You don’t agree with me? How dare you! I hate you!” attitude. I hope we proved here this week that we CAN disagree and still get along. But somehow I doubt it.
– I truly hope my allowing the discussion to take place here does not impact my business or my clients. I put up with entirely more than I needed to in order to allow for open dialogue. And frankly, the sniping and bickering was draining. I don’t want a client coming upon this blog to get the impression that this is just another place where women pair off to claw at each other. And let’s face it – it’s women.
– I’ve got really good blog friends. I know some of us share opposing opinions on a number of issues, but every one of you whom I’ve known through this blog continue to amaze me at how professional you are. I’m glad to know you all. I love that we can disagree and still like each other. That’s the kind of people I’m happy to call friends.
– Giving someone the space to express their opinions is always a good idea.
– No matter what you say or how you say it, there’s always going to be someone who’s going to find a hidden agenda.
– Farm Town on Facebook was a big time suck. I’m glad I let my crops go to waste.
– I’m much stronger in my resolve than I thought. BS has begun rolling off me like water from a duck, and I’m much faster at seeing people’s true motives.
– I’ve built a pretty good career – one that I’m proud of, with some neat accomplishments. I’m glad I’ve put the effort into building a business.
– Sometimes what you say and what people hear share no common element.
– Demanding respect never gets it for you.
– Vanilla bean ice cream has that little bit of crunch that’s pleasantly unexpected.
– New shoes can fix any bad mood.
Tell me you guys have learned something. 🙂