On the Search for Leprechauns

What’s on the iPod: Rain by Scott Blasey

Today is the last post you’ll get out of me until the end of the month, but stick around. Plenty of folks have helped fill this blog with excellent information and advice.

I spent yesterday putting things in order. Let me say I LOVE AT&T Wireless. Setting up the cell phone for international service was so easy. Even more, they reminded me that 800 numbers can’t be accessed overseas, and that I should get local numbers for my bank should I need them. That’s customer service you don’t often see. And it’s welcome. Make that two companies in two weeks to do something right. I had been worrying out loud when they acquired Cingular, because I loved Cingular. So far, so good.

We’ll be on a plane tonight at 10 pm. Somewhere in the middle of the night here, I’ll be setting foot on Irish soil. Excitement is a mere word compared to how I’m feeling. We’ve tried planning the trip around the purported homelands of my ancestors, but lord, there were so many ancestors! We’re heading to the counties of Donegal (Gallaghers), Mayo (O’Malleys), Armagh (Fergusons – the Scottish contingent), and around Lough Erne where the Carrs and Mulligans may have been. And he’s looking up his side, too. I knew there was a reason I was drawn to him – it does a heart good to know there’s Irish blood beating in that man’s heart.

Got the invoices out, the queries out, the away response up, and the work done for now. The notebook is going with me, but only to let the ramblings that start to pour out find a soft landing place. This will be a vacation of discovery, and I don’t want to miss nor forget a minute of it.

For now, slán. I’ll be back before you know it.

About the author

Related

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

Comments

• Wendy October 13, 2010 at 11:49 am

You'll be stepping on Irish soil? Oy, I am so jealous! Is there room in one of your suitcases?

Sending wishes to you for a safe flight and a happy vacation.

• Devon Ellington October 13, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Have a fantastic trip! You've earned it. Can't wait to hear all about it.

• Cathy October 13, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Lori, have a fabulous time-safe travels and we'll leave the light on for you. 🙂

• Eileen October 13, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Lori, I am beyond envious, having 50% Irish blood in me own veins. Have a fantastic time!

• Irreverent Freelancer October 13, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Have an awesome time, Lori! You really earned this vacation. I can't wait to see all the pics when you return, and I know lots of creative gold will come from both the adventure and the break from real life.

• Gabriella F. October 13, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Have great fun, Lori! Safe travels!

• Jake P October 13, 2010 at 2:51 pm

You didn't mention fishing, but here's the Inland Fisheries Ireland website, just in case:

Safe travels, have a blast, and raise a glass of O'Haras for me! Will look forward to hearing all about it…

• becky @ misspriss October 13, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Have a terrific time! Hoping I get to set foot on Irish soil someday. In the meantime, will be living vicariously!

• Paula October 13, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Bon Voyage!

Remember, the only traveling I'm doing these days is the vicarious type. So have some extra fun on my behalf!

• Katharine Swan October 13, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Have a great trip, Lori!

By the way, I have AT&T too. I can't remember if it was AT&T yet when Michael and I went to Europe, or if it was still Cingular, but in any case we loved it!

• hugh.c.mcbride October 13, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Yay, Lori! I hope your travels are smooth & that your Irish experience exceeds your greatest expectations. Looking forward to reading about your overseas exploits upon your return — but between now & then, hope you forget all about the Internet from time to time & just luxuriate in the wonders of the Emerald Isle!

• Sal October 13, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Lori,

Have a great time. I can't wait to hear all about it when you return. Discovery vacations are amazing and I can't wait to do my own (Italy, here I come).

If there is one thing I can tell you, calculate the amount of time you spend each day on the computer here…now double that and make sure you spend THAT amount of time outside, enjoying everything nature has to offer 🙂 Have a great trip and hopefully (Read: You had better not even log in to post something…anywhere) we won't see you till you get back 😉

• Ashley October 14, 2010 at 4:39 am

Lori, have a fabulous trip! I'm sure it will be even more wonderful than you expect. Enjoy!

• Diane October 14, 2010 at 10:12 am

Have a great trip. I'll be waving.